Thursday, October 14, 2021

Offender Call

I’m sitting on the back deck of my mother’s house
with a Coors Light in one hand
and a flyswatter in the other, smashing lantern flies 
and flicking stinkbugs off the banister.
The air is filled with the twittering of birds
punctuated by screams from the roller coaster down the street.
Inside, the land line keeps ringing. 
The caller ID reads Offender Call; my stepbrother
calling from prison. He calls every day
since his mother died and his girlfriend found the cash 
he’d squirreled away before he got locked up again. 
Last week my own number got tangled up in some scam 
and now I receive incessant texts telling me 
my debit card has been restricted, 
or trying to sell me car insurance, though I don’t drive, 
or looking for someone named Nicole.
My mother’s trying to get me to move back here
but most of my old friends are gone
and the places where we ruined our youth have closed.
My dad’s half blind and will sometimes topple over, 
and despite my years of threats, despite my failed attempts, 
for the first time I really see how this ends, 
can catch a whiff of final stink wafting up the cold corridor,
can hear the wheeze of the machines, 
the voices and dings over the intercom. Last night 
I got a message from my friend who works in the covid ward. 
Every one of her patients is dying.
Every one of them refused to get vaccinated. 
Possibly a coincidence. “I show up every day 
with grace and love in my heart,” she writes, 
“and then it all turns to shit.”
It’s been two years and I still picture the love of my life
face down in the grass, flopping like a fish. I do my best 
to push away the image, grab whatever distraction
is closest to hand. Yesterday the family 
piled in the car and drove downtown 
to the rinky-dink museum in the church basement
where the Liberty Bell was hidden from the British. 
My mother nodded and my sister rolled her eyes 
as the guide prattled on, instructing my brother 
to take the looped pole and hook it around the clapper 
and pull it to kiss the bronze rim of the replica.
I can still feel that great peal reverberating in my skull
…or maybe it’s the trilling of the phone
as another insect lands before me, stupid and fearless, 
antennae twitching, orange eyes staring.
I hold the plastic swatter poised 
keeping perfectly still
and I drink in the silence as the phone in the kitchen 
finally stops ringing


1 comment: